Saturday, July 17, 2010

Inspired Honey Bee

I've been meaning to write about my cute, crafty friend Debbie for a while now. Actually, I wrote about her once, but that was just a mention. She deserves a whole post and here's why...


I honestly can't remember when I first met Debbie. We both work for KP, but in different departments and separate buildings. We are both part of a larger department, so I see her at the monthly birthday celebrations. Someone mentioned that Debbie and I should be friends, I wasn't sure why until I met her. Debbie is sarcastic, super organized, thoughtful and CRAFTY! Our first friend date was for happy hour where we talked college, jobs, boyfriends, running and then began sketching out invitations, programs and cards we'd made. 


I knew we really were friends when Debbie asked if I had made plans for my birthday. It was on a weekday, so she figured I'd have a happy hour after work and kept the day free. I don't even know if she remembers that but it meant a lot to me. Ironically, something came up and she wasn't able to attend, but the thought meant the most! 


Since then we've had craft days, encouraged each other during a half marathon, chatted/laughed through many work celebrations and continued to share ideas for cards and parties. Just before the holidays we had a craft day at her house and included the boyfriends. They'd met but never hung out, however have a lot in common. While Debbie and I cut, glued and chatted the guys talked sports and watched episode after episode of LOST. 


At the beginning of the year Debbie told me she started a blog. I gasped - partially with excitement and partially with surprise that I didn't already know about it. She told me that her first post was still in the works and she'd let me know when it was up (phew, I hadn't missed anything!)


Her blog is called the Inspired Honey Bee, where she shares what inspires her to create cards. I was completely blown away when I read her first post, because it was about her inspiration to start a blog and was dedicated to me. A very sweet post, especially considering how much she continually inspires me too! 


In the last few months, life has been excitingly busy for Debbie. In February she got engaged to her equally cute boyfriend. And in April they bought a house together. Within that time she also was making several trips to the Central Valley to be with her brother who was having serious health problems. Now that he is thankfully on the mend, the Honey Bee is back to blogging! 


It has been fun to chat with Debbie about her wedding planning. I tried to sell my coordinator services to her, but who am I kidding, she's an amazing planner herself! To help shape their special day, Debbie put together an awesome inspiration board (see it here). They have several hygrenga bushes in their front yard, so I think that is a perfect flower for her to continue to be inspired while planning, and reminded of their wedding for years to come! 


This weekend the happy couple is having an engagement and housewarming party. I am so bummed that I'm going to miss it, but I know that B will represent us well. I made this card for him to take along: 

I look forward to many more creative adventures and laughs with the Debbie. Especially in her new craft room! Yep, I'm pretty jealous of that room!

Follow the Inspired Honey Bee here: http://inspiredhoneybee.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Debbie Mendes said...

I'm literally crying in the visitor lounge of the Nissan service center in the middle of Bakersfield. You inspire me every day to stand out and do something creative, daring, new, caring, and thoughtful. I am a better person because you are my friend.

Debbie Mendes Cotton said...

I just wanted to stop by again and tell you that I love you. Again.