Thursday, November 11, 2010

Chicken Taco Soup

Have I told you about chicken taco soup? If I haven't, I'm shocked. It's my newest favorite soup - delicious, hearty and so, so easy. 

I made a big batch on Sunday and invited over a few friends for a "family dinner". About an hour after I'd put all the ingredients in the Crock Pot, our power went out. We quickly realized it wasn't just a blown fuse, but a power outage on the whole block. My first thought was GREAT no excuse or distractions while I clean. Second thought: oh crap, the Crock Pot! Thankfully a clever friend reminded me that we have a gas stove and can cook even during a power outage! Hooray. The soup turned out just as good on the stove top. Given the choice, I'd still use the ol' Crock Pot. 

So without further ado, I give you Chicken Taco Soup that can be made in the Crock Pot or on your stove top. Make it for yourself and have meals for days to come. Or make a batch and invite over friends and ask them to bring toppings (or corn bread and to.die.for. nutella brownies, like Rachel).


Chicken Taco Soup
Ingredients: 
2 15oz cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
10 oz corn (frozen or canned, drained and rinsed)
16 oz can tomato sauce
1 15oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
15 oz chicken stock
1 small onion, diced
1 package taco seasoning
2 or 3 boneless chicken breasts (I say the more the merrier)

Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, crushed tortilla chips, corn bread, sliced olives, cilantro

Directions: Place the first 7 ingredients in the slow cooker and mix well. Place chicken breasts on top of the ingredients and cover the slow cooker. Cook on high 4-5 hours, or low 8-10 hours. Remove the chicken and cool on a cutting board while you prepare the toppings. Once chicken is cool, shred and mix back into the soup.

Enjoy for dinner (2 bowls is totally acceptable) AND lunch the next day. Yep, it's that good. 


No comments: