Monday, September 19, 2011

How-to: Build a Baby Quilt

  Today I have another fun guest post from my friend and soon-to-be new mom, Crystal! She was the happiest, cutest pregnant lady ever.
{Stephanie Smith Photography}
I asked her to share a clever idea she did for her baby showers. She built a baby quilt, using squares made by her friends and family!! I'll let Crystal share the rest...

It really was not too hard to make...really if my mom and I can do it....seriously anyone can do it! :)  I love the way it turned out and it is going ot be such a wonderful keepsake.  You can totally feel all of the love from all our family and friends sewn right up in one little snugly blanket!!


Here's how we did it:
1. I pre-cut 6 1/2in. fabric squares.  I cut enough for all the guests at my showers and the border of the quilt.  I chose 4 different patterned fabrics, but you could do whatever you liked.  I used a basic cotton fabric.


2. I had all of my wonderful guests create their own square while at the baby shower.  It was so much fun and people were nervous at first but then they totally got into it! In the baby shower invitation we included a little card that told people they would be making a quilt square in case there was anything special (quote, ribbon, iron on, etc.) that they wanted to bring but that all the supplies would be provided if not.  We made sure that we had tons of different iron-ons, ribbons, buttons (make sure those are all sewed on super tight so baby can't pull them off) fabric markers, letters, irons set up and ready to use, and needle and thread stations too.

  Once people were done we set them all out on a table to they could check them out throughout the rest of the shower.  The only guidelines we gave people was to please leave a 1/2in border to help with the sewing and to make sure that their name was on the square somewhere.  (If people forgot their names I just wrote them on the square so I would always remember.) For friends and family that couldn't attend the showers, I mailed them a fabric square with some directions via email and they created their square and mailed it back to me. 

3. Once the showers were over and I had all the quilt squares back, we began by laying out all the squares and deciding on a pattern and size that we liked. 
 
We then pinned and sewed the squares together to create the front side of the quilt. 


PS-Check out the sewing machine from circa 1950 we used...we are totally high tech sewers! See what I mean, if we can do it anyone can do it!


4. After the front side was completed we cut the back panel of fabric to size.  I used a cotton quilt backing fabric, but any cotton fabric would do.  We sewed the back panel to the font.  You have them both inside out and sew them like you would a pillow before it was stuffed.  Don't sew the whole thing, leave yourself about a 1-1 1/2 ft. opening. It's best to leave this opening on the bottom of the quilt.


5. When the back is sewn on, turn the quilt right side in and catch your first glimpse at how cute it's going to be.  You then need to stuff the quilt with batting.  We used a 1/2in batting, but you can choose any size depending on how fluffy you want the quilt to be.  Once we stuffed the quilt with batting, we sewed the closing shut.

6. Then the finishing touch is to use embroidery thread and sew little knots between each square.  This holds the batting in place and gives the quilt it's "quilt like" look.  That's all!  You can then admire your finished project and get excited to wrap a cute baby up in such a special quilt! :)
On Thursday morning, Crystal and her husband welcomed this bundle of joy into the world!! I cannot wait to meet him. HUGE congrats to your family. Thank you for sharing your sweet baby quilt.

This post is part of my September Creative Challenge. Follow along as Inspired Honey Bee and I do something creative Monday - Friday all this month!

No comments: