Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Ric Rac and Fringe


While packing up for our move, I did my best to purge throughout the apartment. There is nothing worse then moving junk across town, much less across the country. This purge also, thankfully, took place in the craft closet.

I recycled a lot of old, partially used materials. There were a few pretty patterns of cards that I haven't used in a while, but couldn't part with. I decided they were the perfect thing for a creative challenge...an upgrade to make them more usable. 

I took these old patterned cards and ric-rac flat note cards  ...

and turned them into these ric-rac and fringe thank you cards...

with coordinating lined envelopes!


I think they are a million times cuter and perfect for writing a quick thank you or simple note (i made some of the cards without ty stickers).

Materials used:
Ric Rac flat note cards
Off white envelopes

Tools used:
Sewing machine
Straight edge scissors
Glue

To make the fringe, I folded a 1 inch thick piece of paper in half. Using my (new) favorite fringe scissors, I cut along the unfolded side.

Ta-da: fringe!!
They are so much fun. I highly recommend purchasing or borrowing a pair STAT!

Next I stitched the fringe onto the ric-rac cards, using the same ric-rac stitch. I simply sewed along the crease in the fringe paper. Using regular scissors I clipped off the extra fringe and thread along the edges.

Here's an up close of the fringe...

With the remainder of the pattern paper, I lined the off white envelopes. To do this I simple traced the envelope onto the pattern paper. I then cut it down to size, leaving room for the envelope seal. Place a small amount of glue along the triangle part of the liner and carefully slide into envelope. Note: Its best not to glue the whole liner, just the top, so that the envelope can open and close without tearing.



This project proves, yet again, that it's good to purge! You never know what unused craft materials can be used for a new project!

This post is part of my September Creative Challenge. Follow along as Inspired Honey Bee and I do something creative Monday - Friday all this month!

2 comments:

Janelle said...

Love love love these!!! Makes me want a sewing machine!

jacin {lovely little details} said...

these are great!!