Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Yarn Wrapped Letters

I spotted these yarn wrapped letters and immediately fell in love. They're so cute and cozy all wrapped up in pretty yarn!
{pinned here}
While packing up our apartment, I came across these wooden letters Jnelly made for our engagement session. She covered the M and B in wood grain paper, as seen below. They were a fun prop to have during our photos, minus the fact we were standing so that it reads BM. True, they're our initials and also, well you know. Thankfully we did get a few of MB with the gorgeous view of Tennessee Beach!


In the spirit of craftiness, rather than purchasing more letters for this project I decided to re-purpose the M and B and turn them into yarn wrapped letters!

Picking out yarn was so.much.fun. I settled on our wedding colors: variegated purple for the M, green for the B and gray for an ampersand down the road! I was unsure about how much yarn I'd need, but one roll was more than enough.

To make the wooden letters a little thicker, I used some batting on either side of the wood. I also did one layer of felt so that the white of the batting wouldn't be seen through the yarn.  After I cut all the batting and felt down to size, I hot glued them to the letters. As you can see from the photos below, it did add a nice little thickness to the letters.


And now for the fun part - wrapping!! Here's how I went about wrapping, although you could do it other ways as well. Regardless of how you wrap, I recommend thinking it through before you start so you don't have to un-wrap and start over.

1. Tie a knot on the backside of the letter and beginning wrapping the ends (aka serifs). Use a little bit of hot glue to help the yarn stay on these small edges. 2. Transition onto the main part of the letter. 3. And we're wrapping. 4. Make a smaller roll of yarn to wrap the tight corners. When tying on a new piece of yarn, make sure the knots are on the back of the letter.

And voila - the final product: M&B! I love how they turned out. I'll admit, I was a tiny bit  nervous about them looking like a 5th grade art project (and maybe they still do), but I think they're adorable! I borrowed an ampersand for this photo. I plan to make a yarn wrapped one using the gray yarn, but at least this gives you an idea!



One last photo of the yarn up close. Aren't they pretty? Super soft too!




This post is part of my September Creative Challenge. Follow along as Inspired Honey Bee and I do something creative Monday - Friday all this month!

No comments: