Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pinterest-a-thon: Braided Scarf




Today is my first guest post this week, written by Ashlan! I met Ashlan while waiting to catch the plane to Philadelphia. I saw a group of people who I thought might be from my new work. A few minutes later I heard my name, first and last, followed by "she has a blog...that I've been stalking." That's when I walked up, introduced myself and embarrassed the heck out of poor Ashlan. I've learned she's crafty, a runner and hilarious, which all make up for the fact she went to CSU ;) Thanks for sharing your project, Ashlan!



Using the braided scarf tutorial from Put Up Your Dukes, I stopped pinning and started crafting! Here's the original Pinterest post.

The tutorial advises using two 60"x15" strips of fabric and suggests  using an old t-shirt as an inexpensive and green fabric source. However, you need XXL tees and my husband doesn't really have much color variety in his collection. I purchased half a yard of each color in a knit fabric instead.

I suggest using the tutorial mentioned above because, unlike me, I bet that she didn't sew a pin into her project. If you're the adventurous type, go ahead, see if you can figure it out with my pics.
 
Step 1: Show Me Your Tubes
Sew two tubes. Mine are 7.5" wide by 58" long. Turn 'em inside out when you're done.

Step 2: Do your tubes low? Do they wobble to and fro? Can you tie 'em in a knot? Can you tie 'em in bow?


Overlap your tubes.




Put your hand through the loop on the bottom. Grab the tails of that loop and pull 'em through.




Flip the piece over.
Put your hand through the other loop and pull it's tails through.


Step 3: Sports Bra (combine your tubes)
Sew the opposite colors of each tube together. Make sure they're not twisted and that you're sewing the insides of them together. See tutorial for more pictures.

Step 4: Wrap the One You Love in Your Tubes!

1 comment:

Debbie Mendes Cotton said...

Thanks for linking up!! I'll be featuring you (again!) tomorrow! xoxo Debbie